"i'm the creation, You're the Creator, i am imperfect, You're the Redeemer, i'm filled with questions, You are the Answer, i am a sinner, You are my Savior. You are the One for me. and i belong to You. for the record i'm a full-time failure, You know me better than i know myself." -Mandi Mapes, "You're the one for me"

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Best Day

Wednesday was probably my favorite day in Guatemala. Here's my journal entry:

Today was one of those God moved kind of days. We went to a school at the base of Pacaya, the volcano. We basically just showed up at the school (which was a long building with about 5 classrooms and a concrete court outside), Nathan talked to the headmaster, and we did crafts with the children. With the first through third grade, we made name plates (boy or girl). While it was super great, we had to do their names for them because they were so young. This was tricky for me because I did not know the different letters. I had to ask the teacher every time how to spell their name, checking for each letter. I only got a few wrong. And getting an American name made me smile. (Wilson!!) The kids were precious, following people around and screaming for attention.
Nathan said on the first day that the children who need the most love are those hanging back, not jumping in your lap. This really stuck with me, and today I met that child - Carolina. She never said anything to me, except a mumble of her name, but the pain in her eyes broke my heart. She just sat, never accepting any words of affirmation or hugs. I so wish I could have told her how much she means to me, means to God. (A later post will take this spiritual, but for now just know I still remember Carolina's face). Other children were just as unloved as well, always looking for acceptance, hooping someone would say that their nameplate looked 'muy bonita'. They also loved the bubbles and popping them.  - the balloon animas were a big hit, i saw the kids assaulting those of us with them. i just was never there -
With the fourth and sixth graders we made 'believe' bracelets, with different colored beads and some with letters. Again, there was a little boy just hanging back, waiting patiently with such hurt and desperation in his eyes, hoping for something. They were such amazing children of all ages. I could spend the rest of my life right there in that village.

Then we hit the volcano - PACAYA! This was a beast. It was about 3 miles up, and took us about 1.5 hours. The hike was intense, and I honestly didn't think I could make it. Literally. But we finally made it up, and bless our tour guide for staying with us. She was such a sweet woman, sharing history with us, and making us feel not so pathetic. The view was incredible at the top of this plateau, which was still down from the actual top of the volcano. So I didn't see any lava, but it was still cool. We made our way down (much easier) and then back to the mission. Dinner was magnificent again, and we had a marvelous team time again, with everyone saying their life verse. I've never really thought about a life verse, but I enjoyed hearing everyone else's and learning that little bit (really big bit) about their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment